By Smita Chatterjee
The medical information and remedies in this article are by Dr. Priya Parmar, a qualified homeopath with over 15 years of experience.
A Brief Introduction To Homeopathy
Homeopathy is a field of alternate medicine where opinions are divided in to two groups of believers and non-believers. A little bit of background reading and an open mind will reveal that homeopathy is a very effective remedy for a number of ailments faced by children and adults alike.
Invented in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, homeopathy has become popular over the years and today is a serious form of treatment suitable, amongst other age groups, for babies and children.
Unfortunately, in today’s heath care scenario, marketing influences tend to sway public opinion about health issues. Pharmaceutical and insurance companies have ensured that allopathy always has an edge over homeopathy in terms of popularity.
How Does Homeopathy Work?
Homeopathy does not cure in the strictest sense of the word. Rather, it is a system of medicine based on the principal of ‘like cures like’ – a substance that would cause symptoms in a healthy person is used to cure those same symptoms in illness.
For example, the bark of a cinchona causes shivering and perspiration in a healthy individual. In homoeopathy, it is used to cure the very same symptoms in a sick person.
Since these medicines work by gently boosting the body’s natural energy (or vital force) they are very safe and can be used by expecting mothers, senior citizens, babies and older children.
Homeopathy – and, by extension, the homeopath – takes into account not only the very obvious symptoms like a runny nose, vomiting, upset stomach, etc. but also the lifestyle and daily habits that the child is accustomed to.
Homeopathic remedies are prescribed in a different manner than allopathy. You must have seen prescriptions written as 1x, 6x, 30, 200, etc. – these are the potencies of the medications. Homeopathic remedies are made from raw extracts of plant and animal sources, and from minerals and salts.
This raw extract is made into tinctures using alcohol as a base in a dilution process, which is the next step. The dilutions are made up to either 1 part tincture to 10 parts water (1x) or 1 part tincture to 100 parts water (1c). Repeated dilutions result in the more familiar 6x, 30c, 200, etc. The more diluted the medicine, the greater its potency.
Homoeopathic Treatment For Common Childhood Ailments
Of course, parents despair when kids fall sick. It requires endless trips to the doctor, tact and persuasion to get the child to take medication, and of course tackling of medical side effects like sleepiness, allergic reactions, etc.
In such cases, keeping homeopathic remedies at home can go a long way in giving the child relief from troubling symptoms. In some cases, if the problem is caught in time, homeopathy even restores the body to normalcy.
Homeopathy is easy to administer, and if the rules are followed correctly, it is a very effective remedy for most common ailments faced by children. An alert parent will be able to use homeopathy treatment with a fair degree of success. The earlier the signs are caught, the easier the problem is to cure.
Below are some remedies for two of the most common bugbears that mothers face. While self medicating is generally not advised, those who follow the rules can generally not go wrong. Comforting thought – homeopathy has no side effects, so an accidental wrong dose will not affect the child’s condition.
For babies with colic (stomach pain due to gas, etc.) and cry for hours
a. Colocynth 30
The symptoms to look out for are:
• Babies have green diarrhea as well as a bloated abdomen
• They start crying after feeding
• Tummy massage soothes them
b. Mag Phos 6x
• Works for babies who don’t exhibit the symptoms of colic too frequently
• A warm pad helps them
c. Chamomila 30
• Highly irritated and restless, wants to be carried around
• Belly is bloated
• Cries non-stop
• Symptoms are aggravated during dentition
d. Dioscorea 30
• Colicky pains with loud rumbling in baby’s abdomen due to gas
e. Mag Mur 6x
• When cow’s milk is the cause of distress
• Child is constipated and hard stools are passed with great difficulty and straining
a. Veratum Album 30
• Rice water-like stools
• Child becomes pale and cold
• Thready pulse
b. Arsenic Alb30
• Diarrhea accompanied with anxiety.
• Burning pain in digestive tract
• Great restlessness
• Frequent thirst for small sips of water
• Stools are watery with putrescent odor
• Simultaneous diarrhea and vomiting
• Useful when diarrhea occurs due to spoiled food
c. Podophyllum 30
• Profuse, painless, gushing, watery diarrhea
• Urging felt very soon after passing motion.
• Worse in evenings and hot weather
d. Chamomila 30
• Dentition diarrhea
• Green, watery stools
• Very irritable, child wants to be carried around
e. Aoes 30
• Lot of gas and small amount of stools
• Burning in anus
• Child feels weak
Homeopathic Treatment Do’s And Don’ts
- Be alert to your child’s symptoms.
- Keep a log of what medication you are giving for which symptoms, so that you have an easy reference guide for the same illness the next time
- Keep the basic homeopathic remedies handy
- If you can get a book on how to use homeopathy, or a beginner’s guide to using homeopathy, then make sure you read it and understand it thoroughly so that you can help your child get over simple illnesses easily
- Keep the child’s tongue clean and don’t allow him to eat or drink anything or brush his teeth for a minimum ten minutes before and after taking the medication
- Don’t overdose. In homeopathy, more will not cure faster
- Don’t delay the administration of remedies. Timing is very important
- Don’t fail to call the doctor if you see no change within the first 3 doses
- Don’t store medicines in extreme heat and cold, or near strong-smelling items, magnets, etc.
- Don’t give the child strong-flavored foods like garlic or coffee for a short while
- Don’t touch the pills with your hands
- Don’t mix different types of remedies. If you are giving the child any other medication then check with your homeopath before self treating the child with homeopathy
Disclaimer: The information in this article should not be taken as a substitute for medical advice. If you or your child have a serious illness, please consult a registered homeopathic or medical practitioner.
© Smita Chatterjee
This article may be reproduced with the complete author bio and a live link back to http://www.lovingyourchild.com
Alternative Medicine Resources:
- Homeopathic/Herbal Cold, Cough, Flu Prevention And Cures – A step-by-step guide to using homeopathic and natural cures for all colds and flus. Whether it’s the Swine Flu or Seasonal Flu, Colds or Cough, treat with natural, homeopathic and herbal remedies. Non-toxic, safe and effective for all, even children and in pregnancy.
- Wellness Revolution: Free Breakthrough Series On Complementary Medicine – Did you know that more “incurable” diseases, including some cancers, are being effectively dealt with using the new Alternative Medicine than ever before? Hear over 21 speakers deliver the most current information on effective healing techniques and maintaining optimal health.
- Dr. C. E. Gant Alternative Health Membership – A science-based alternative/natural approach to treating ADHD, drug addictions, and other health conditions. Dr. C E Gant has over 30 years experience in Alternative and Integrative medicine. Get real solutions for healing without drugs.
Homeopathic Remedies for ADHD
Photo source tinpalace