Fun Summer Activities For Kids: Picnics And Camping Outdoors
Summertime, kids, and outdoor activities are meant to go together. If your kids are spending too much time in front of the computer or TV screen this vacation, here are two fun summer activities that you can all enjoy outdoors.
Picnics With The Kids
Having a picnic doesn’t have to be reserved for a day out at the beach or park. Kids love to eat outside, especially if it means they don’t have to stop playing to come inside and get cleaned up. If you are going to have a picnic during an outing, be sure to practice food safety and have icepacks in with the food or cooler.
Picnics can be as simple and easy as peanut butter and jam sandwiches with apples to as complicated as fried chicken and potato salad. It all depends on how much time you have and the preferences of those you will be serving. But whatever you make, let the kids help you prepare.
If your little ones are active, you can prepare a picnic that consists of all finger foods. Let the kids come and go as they please have a snack here and there as they need it. Some easy finger foods for a picnic include:
- Cheese and crackers
- Vegetable sticks (carrots, tomatoes, and cucumber)
- Ants and dirt (fill celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins)
- Hard boiled eggs
Even if none of your children are in diapers anymore, having baby wipes or another wet wipe on hand after a picnic is necessary. They help with clean-up before and after eating. They also can do double-duty to clean off the picnic table at a park before you use it.
Paper plates are practical but if you use them a lot they are an added expense – you can pick up a plastic picnic set that is easy to wash and can be used over and over throughout the summer.
Not nice enough outside for a picnic? Who says you can’t have one indoors too!
Going Camping With Children
Camping in summer is becoming a very popular activity in India, with professional camp sites springing up all the country. Sleeping out in the wilderness in a tent or camper may seem a little bit intimidating with children but it doesn’t have to be.
Kids love to be outside and camping is a part of growing up. If you really don’t think that camping out in the woods is for you, pitch a tent in your living room or balcony instead. With the exception of a campfire you can do all of the other camp activities and crafts.
Some tips to ease any fears that your children may have about going camping:
- Bring a flash light for each child and let them use it as much as they want (bring extra batteries too).
- If the children are younger and are having difficulties going to sleep drive slowing around the campground and transfer them to their sleeping bag once they are asleep.
- Playing soothing music or a lullaby disc will help to mask the sounds the forest makes at night time that can be scary to a child that is not used to it.
- Bring their pillow and any other comfort item they like to go to sleep with (a stuffed animal or favorite blanket).
Let the children create their own memory jar from the camping trip or buy them their own disposable camera. Have them photograph the camping trip and once the film is developed let them make a book to write down all the memories that go with the pictures.
Bring along all the families favorite board and card games to play during some down time too. Even if you do decide to camp in your backyard make it a time when there is no TV, telephones or other electronic games. A great way to ensure quality family time is created without the distractions from the outside world.
© Loving Your Child
This article may be reprinted with a live link back to www.lovingyourchild.com
Activites for Kids:
- Beginner Camping Tips – It’s a pleasure to see your children’s wide eye expressions when they see new outdoor wonders while camping. Get advice for fun and safe tent camping from start to finish. 11 experts with 138 years of combined experience offer 12 steps to tent camping and enjoying outdoor living adventures.
- 365 Kids Games – 365 surefire ways to keep the kids entertained, every day of the year. Discover the secrets to keeping your kids entertained in a cheap and fun easy way.
- Fun Kids Craft – Learn how to make unique kids crafts & art projects in no time at all with templates, pictures & easy-to-follow instructions for 700 unique fun kids crafts. Studies have shown that craft activities can increase problem solving skills, boost self esteem when successfully finishing a project and radically improves creativity, concentration & perseverance in a child, up to 40%.
- Printable Craft & Activity Templates – Encourage your child’s imagination and creativity with the numerous learning experiences, craft activities and coloring templates while enhancing their gross and fine motor skills. Immerse children in real life maths experiences with the many cooking, counting and puzzle activities.