Guidelines to Properly Manage the Use of Technology and Gadgets Among Your Kids
We are living in a modern world where technology is a big part. However, it is still surprising especially for parents how little kids are able to quickly learn how to operate a mobile phone or tablet moreover use the internet. It is amusing and alarming at times. There are too many things on the internet and as parents, we cannot help but be worried to the things that the children see, hear or learn. Thus, it is very important to properly manage how kids use technology and gadgets. In this article, we will share some tips for parents out there:
- Impose a strict curfew especially during school nights – all parents wish to give the best for their children including enrolling them to a good school like Singapore International School and the likes, so it is important to make sure that children will get the most of it. You do not want kids to be distracted in their studies so it is advisable to impose a strict curfew in using their gadget especially during week nights. You should set a time where they can use the phone or tablet and after that, they should give back the gadgets to you. If you will not do this, they will probably watch YouTube videos or play games until wee hours so you should be strict with curfew.
- No gadgets during test exam weeks – and if they have exams week then there should be no gadget at all. They cannot play video games, watch YouTube videos or play on their phones. You want them to focus on their studies. And in return, you can promise extra hours for gadget use if they do well in their exams.
- Make sure to block inappropriate sites on their devices – the world wide web is so big and for parents of little children, you are worried that they will come across inappropriate content. So it is advisable to block inappropriate sites and content from their devices. You should also make sure to explain some things they see like how using guns or any other forms of violence is not appropriate. If they have questions, be sure to answer and explain to them the best way you can.
- Check their browser history from time to time – if your kid is a minor then checking their web browser history is not snooping. You need to check the kind of websites they visit and their activities online. Now, if you see something inappropriate, be sure to discuss it with them quickly.
- Encourage them to do other activities with other kids – you do not want your kids to be always playing video games or using their phones or watching Netflix at home – you want them to enjoy being kids and play with other children. Thus, you should encourage them to play with other children at the park or do sports which is great for them.